Usher Board Ministry
Psalm 84:10 - For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.
1 Corinthians 14:40 - Let all things be done decently and in order.
Colossians 3:23-24 23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
The Olivet Baptist Church Ushers are our doorkeepers. The Usher Board Ministry is responsible for maintaining a warm and safe environment during public services at Olivet Baptist Church. Our Ushers are tasked with the extraordinary opportunity of being an extension of the Pastor. In that capacity, the Usher Board Ministry is instrumental in providing direction and guidance in the pews and play a pivotal role in keeping order and creating a spirit of worship, reverence, and friendliness in and about the church. Our Usher Board Ministry wants to ensure that everyone who steps into Olivet Baptist Church has a blessed and edifying experience from the moment they are escorted to their seat to the time they rise for the benediction and are dismissed.
The Olivet Baptist Church Ushers serve as:
- The front-line face of our congregation who leave the first impression.
- Our first respondents of Christian love in case of emergency.
- Our most privileged members who traditionally offer our new guests their initial enthusiastic smile, friendly greeting or much needed assistance as they enter our church for the first time.
- The visible representation of order and proper decorum in worship service.
- Our ambassadors of hospitality to both members and non-members.
- The tone-setters for both reverence and respect in God's house.
- The servant leaders who stand on guard in the congregation prepared to address any needs that may arise.
- Facilitators of worship assisting both the Pastor and congregation through the various phases of the order of service.
- Maintainers of order during offering, prayer, the sermon and the invitation to Christ.
- Practitioners of the Golden Rule "Treat others as you would have them treat you" while in service and uniform.
- Our representatives on the District, State and National levels.
The Usher Board Ministry will be responsible for one service event or service activity on an annual basis that contributes to the betterment of one or all of the following: our membership, our neighborhood or our church.
Every member in good standing of Olivet Baptist Church is invited to become a part of the Usher Board Ministry. The expectations for members can be summarized in the 10 “Be’s” of Ushering:
- 1) Be friendly to people and reverent to God.
- 2) Be dressed in uniform or proper attire and neatly groomed.
- 3) Be attentive and focused on the needs of the congregation.
- 4) Be prepared to follow the lead of the head usher.
- 5) Be willing to be trained in proper protocol and technique.
- 6) Be humble.
- 7) Be on-time when it is your turn to usher.
- 8) Be an escort and walk people to their seat.
- 9) Be respectful.
- 10) Be a helper.
If you can meet these ten expectations then you can “be” a member of the Olivet Baptist Church Usher Board Ministry.
|John Randolph, Ministry Leader|